Monday, June 11, 2012

Learning, Adjusting, and some fun

A lecture on Freestyle started the day with a packed room of 38 swimmers, that gave way to a great first full day.  I think the toughest part of coaching is being so energetic that new kids don't know how to take you.  I see so much potential that when kids hear "change this" or "try this" it is tough to know if they get it or understand.  The incredible thing is when they do it there is a glow that beams out of their eyes.  The fire is lit and now the fun begins.

The lectures are pretty standard I think, a means to an end in conveying a message.  The fun comes from using my catch phrases and adding fun stuff to get them to understand.  Today it was a brief discussion about the Constitutional Convention in 1776 that tied in changing your mind for something that is good.  I think the detail and the attention to every part of every stroke that is the key.  Nothing is taken for granted.  I will not move ahead till I know they ALL get it.

It was great today to have someone "Pay it forward", I had Riley come up and help me talk about W.W.C.S.S..

I have said for a while, that the kids take so much home with them, that they need a subtle reminder to get in the zone.  It is W.W.C.S.S. = What Would Coach Scott Say.  Little Riley stood there and said that last year it helped her and every camper was focused on this little girl who was now bigger than life.

Sometimes it is the little things, sometimes it is just getting kids to understand that the smarter they swim the better off they will be. 

What an awesome day!

Coach Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment